Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Laundry Day

Out of doors
the sun has dried
many a shirt
and sheet that glide
in the wind.
I pin them up,
end to end
and when I'm done, I sail with them;
An unexpected dividend.

The first day in our new house, the clothes froze solid right on the line. I'd been busy
lining kitchen shelves with blue gingham contact paper, and anyway how was I to know the temperature dropped to thirty when the sun set in Jackson, California? I reeled in the pulley style clothesline and sure was relieved for the darkness so my new neighbors couldn't see my mortification. I tossed the stiff laundry in the bath tub, and hung them again the next morning.
Laundry crisis averted.

My mother had the Tee pole style clothesline, with three long lines. I used to walk through the billowing white sheets and pretend they were clouds. Its the closest I ever came to flying. The cups above have clothespin handles, and are decorated with outside things, including a little beehive house.




I see your teacup is empty. Would you like a refill? I've got plenty more shortbread too.
xx
julie

juliewhitmorepottery.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment