Tuesday, February 22, 2011

flutterby

I guess its the metamorphosis from grub to winged beauty that draws us in. That and the way they look like a floating flower as they drift by. You just can't help but follow them til they are out of sight.
I didn't want to forget the moths. This is a peach blossom moth flitting around sweet peas and ground daisies.
Below is a photo of the migration of the monarch , the California state butterfly. They are the only living things besides birds to migrate in such great numbers.





butterfly handles too





Queen Alexandria's Butterfly, Wing span of twelve inches!



blooming on the kitchen shelf




butterfly books in the dining room


Now let my bed be hard,
no care take I
I'll make my joy like this
small butterfly
walter de la mere



Atlas moth. Don't worry, they don't bite.
Butterflies like milkweed, asters, wildflowers, hollyhock, zinnias and many more.
Good caterpillar host plants include clover, dill, Queen Anne's Lace and fruit tree blossom.
Of course pesticides are out of the question, but you already knew that.
xxx







juliewhitmorepottery.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment