Thursday, November 19, 2009

Pottery adornments

I think of these necklaces as good omens. I paint things that bring good luck or happiness.
A rare green bird, a rabbit leaping through a meadow, or a home on a hill with a fireplace crackling inside. And its all because of a special linen thread, dipped in beeswax and imported from Ireland. Once I held it, and began stringing odd buttons and faience beads onto it, I was a goner. That led to finding the right glass beads, subtle colors with alot of emphasis on green.
The cottage necklace. A house shaped bead, accented with an old calico button, a heart painted to look like old crockery and a bee buzzing close by. The clasp is artisan sterling. It hits, this necklace, right above your heart.

A simpler version, with a scalloped heart, and glass accent beads.


This is a bracelet, and its definately a statement piece, because its big. Maybe to be worn with a a whopper of a hand knit sweater. I'm using the 'S' hooks for the necklaces, but for this , I've strung it on wire because it seemed imperative to put the green pearls inbetween the beads. So I'm researching for the best clasp. You see, I'm a potter, not a jeweler, and this whole experience has made me appreciate authentic adornmanet makers like Nina Bagley. For a treat, look thru her sold items at her Etsy store. Things that look like they were worn by heronines and divinities. www.ninabagley.etsy.com

A rabbit has stoppped to watch you inbetween his leaps thru a neighboring meadow.
All these necklaces will find their way to my Etsy store.
One week until Thanksgiving! I hope yours is joyful.
xxx
julie




juliewhitmorepottery.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment