Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Cup a Day

A cup a day. A vessel, beaker, potion, goblet, mug, demitasse, chalice and taster. Every day. That is the plan. To be posted on Flickr, starting tomorrow morning with this cup.
Now this is supposed to look like a piece of patched material. So loved by its owner that she couldn't bear to throw it away, and added snippets of fabric to the worn spots. The fact that its clay is just a side issue.

Here is something from the Victoria and Albert Museum. Its so delicate, so eighteenth century. Can you imagine holding a butterfly for a handle? I can, and there is already one made and drying in the sun, which is gratefully beaming on us again after six inches of rain this week.
V and A again. Designs for cups. about 1800.

From the pinnacle of design, to this humble enameled cup, made in Mexico.
And just in case you wondered, the word 'cup' is from middle English, 'cuppe' about 1150.
Now its my pleasure to introduce you to someone, just in case you haven't met.

I wanted to tell you about Viv at Hens Teeth, in case you didn't know her works. I'm holding a needlecase here, so beautifully crafted and the best size, the kind of needlecase that makes you run for your sizzors and pin cushion so you can get started Making.
The back is just as pretty as the front. Viv and I swopped. I feel very lucky today that she likes my pottery.



I'm going to use this sketchbook for my cup designs. All these stitches are single thread, the craftsmanship is stellar and the size again is just right for sketching. The papers are a wonderful quality. Viv's blog is delightful and links to her Etsy shop.
Thanks for stopping in for a visit, and wishing you a very happy, healthy 2010
xx
julie







juliewhitmorepottery.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment