Sunday, January 17, 2010

Winter Bird festival

Over 200 species of birds. That is the winter bird count in Morro Bay, on the Central coast of California. The Audobon Society lists it as one of the top five areas for birding in the United States. So where do you think I took myself on Friday, along with my husband and sister? To the Winter Bird Festival right down the road.
There's sighting walks, and boat rides, hikes, and a Common Room with bird related things for sale. This work above is by a pottery friend, Paula Teplitz. I thought seriously about one of her mortar and pestles to grind herbs. Aren't they wonderful?

I turned a little dizzy I looked through so many books.


Here's the one I chose. And one of Paula's tiny cups painted with a beetle.



In the late afternoon I did a little birdwatching on my own. Can you see the group of birds sitting on the rock? Black cormorants. This rock is usually crammed with white pelicans, so this was an interesting sighting.





Here's the ranch where I go birding, just a couple of blocks from our house




Looks like I found a bird egg. But its a sea rock, rolled and tossed into an egg shape over many years at sea.






It came home with me too.
The Bird Festival is every mid January in Morro Bay. If you want to attend, I'll share the best places to camp or stay, and restaurants too. Don't forget your birding binoculars.
xx
julie








juliewhitmorepottery.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment